Carnival in Fano
February 5th, 12th, 19th, 2023, the biggest Carnival in the Marche region
On Sundays February 5th, 12th, 19th. 2023. the Carnival in Fano comes back representing one of the oldest carnivals in Italy,
The Carnival in Fano is inspired by the big celebration of the reconciliation of two families in Fano: the “Dal Cassero” and the “Da Carignano” families.
The Municipality’s archive says that the first celebration may date back to 1347 while the first committee elected to organize the Carnival arose in 1872.
Allegorical wagons, masks and customs’ parade go around the town and on the last day the event ends with fireworks.
Special characters or particular rituals are only celebrated in Fano:
– the Getto consists of throwing sweets from the allegorical wagons, from here the saying “Beautiful to watch and sweet to taste”;
– the Musica Arabita is a music band plays using instruments but also different objects
– the Luminaria is the lighting of the wagons in the late afternoon;
– the Pupo (or Vùlon in dialect) is a mask opening the parade.
The wagons’ parade pass 3 times through viale Gramsci:
– in the first passage the allegorical wagons present themselves;
– the second time there’s the Getto when tons of sweets are threw from the wagons;
– the last turn is about the “luminaria” in the late afternoon where lighting tricks illuminate the wagons.
The Carnival in Fano attracts around 100.000 visitors, and it’s the biggest carnival celebration in the Marche region. It’s part of the popular culture and heritage of the city of Fano.
DO YOU LIKE CARNIVAL?
See a selection of Carnival events around Italy>>>
Photo: poster of the event