The Truffle in Tuscany
Which are the Italian regions where the truffles grow spontaneously? All! None excluded. And in all 20 regions, the truffle food tradition is very important.
Also in Tuscany, of course. Thus it is possible to attend numerous fairs and festivals that make the truffle known to a large public of truffle lovers.
During the truffles’ events, truffles are sold, tasted and talked about.
The truffle varieties in Tuscany
If anyone wants to experience the wild truffle hunt, here is a short map of the areas where they grow. Good luck!
The White Truffle is present in the areas:
– of the Crete Senesi (Siena),
– from S. Giovanni d’Asso to Pienza and from Monteriggioni to San Casciano Bagni.
– of S.Miniato (provinces of Florence and Pisa);
– part of the Chianti hills and part of the Lower Valdarno,
– in Val Tiberina, in particular in the municipalities of Badia Tedalda and Sestino.
– in Mugello, in particular in the municipalities of Borgo S.Lorenzo, Marradi, Scarperia.
– in Casentino, with the centers of Bibbiena and Poppi.
The Black Truffle is growing
– in the limestone massifs of Chianti,
– in Mugello (Marradi),
– in the Montagnola Senese,
– in the Val di Chiana and in the Casentino.
Bianchetto or Marzuolo can be found
– in the areas of the White Truffle,
– in the pine forests of Pinus pinea and Pinus pinaster,
– along the coasts of the provinces of Pisa, Livorno, Grosseto, from Migliarino-S.Rossore to Marina di Grosseto and the Feniglia,
– and in all the hilly areas affected by other truffles and along with the coastal pine forests.
Scorzone, particularly widespread in Tuscany, is common in calcareous soils with artificial oak and pine forests, in the provinces of:
– Arezzo (Casentino, Val Tiberina, Monti della Modina, Cortona),
– Florence (Monte Morello, Monti della Calvana, Mugello, Alta Val d’Elsa),
– Siena (Val d’Elsa Senese, Chianti Mountains),
– Grosseto (Castellazzara, Roccalbegna),
– Pisa (Volterra),
– The top White truffles prefer the soils where there are lime, hazel and downy oak
– The top Black truffles prefer those with holm oak, oak, downy oak, hornbeam and hazelnut.
-The Scorzone is located near beech, holm oak and oak.
The truffle fairs in Tuscany
Here below there is a calendar of truffle fairs and festivals in Tuscany. Keep in mind that some events may have been postponed or canceled due to organizational difficulties in this anomalous year.
For participation, we recommend always to check.
TRUFFLE FESTIVAL – Castell’Azzara (GR)
21-22 August 2021
TRUFFLE FESTIVAL – Fiesole (FI)
24-26 September 2021
FESTIVAL OF WHITE TRUFFLE AND PORCINO MUSHROOM – La Serra (PI)
24-26 September 2021
WHITE TRUFFLE MARKET FAIR – Corazzano (FI)
TARTUFIERA (TRUFFLEFAIR) – Prato (PO)
8-9-10 October 2021
WHITE TRUFFLE AND MUSHROOM FESTIVAL – Balconevisi (PI)
3rd Sunday in October – go to the website>>>
TRUFFLE FESTIVAL OF THE SANMINIATESI HILLS – Ponte a Egola (PI)
FESTIVAL OF PINOCCHIO TRUFFLE – San Miniato Basso (PI)
Early November – go to the website >>>
EXHIBITION OF THE WHITE TRUFFLE OF CRETE SENESI – SAN GIOVANNI D’ASSO (SI)
13-14 and 20-21 November 2021 – go to the website >>>
42ND WHITE TRUFFLE MARKET EXHIBITION San Miniato (PI)
Last 3 weekends in November 2021- go to the website >>>
MARZUOLO TRUFFLE FESTIVAL OF THE CRETE SENESI – San Giovanni d’Asso (SI)
last weekend of March 2022
Cover photo from the website of San Miniato white truffle market exhibition