Who’s who in Liguria
Liguria has given birth to three Nobel Prizes: Giulio Natta (chemistry), Riccardo Giacconi (physical) and Eugenio Montale (literature).
Also born in Liguria:
– explorer Christopher Columbus (1451-1506) who discovered America, great admiral Andrea Doria (1466-1560), military leader Nino Bixio (1821-1873), who led the thousand with Garibaldi, poet and patriot Goffredo Mameli, author of the hymn of Italy, Giuseppe Mazzini (1805-1872), patriot, politician and writer
– violinist Niccolò Paganini (1782-1840),
– Italian President (1978-85) Sandro Pertini
– television comedian Maurizio Crozza, actor Carlo Dapporto, the writer of the novel Cuore (Heart) Edmondo De Amicis.
Also native from Liguria:
– songwriters Fabrizio De André, Umberto Bindi, Bruno Lauzi, Ivano Fossati, Francesco Baccini, talk show host Fabio Fazio, film and theater actor Vittorio Gassman, famous film actor and dubber Giancarlo Giannini, comedian actor Paolo Villaggio, Dario Vergassola, dialect actor Gilberto Govi, comedian and political blogger Beppe Grillo
– production designer Lele Luzzati, director Giuliano Montaldo
– archistar Renzo Piano and designer and architect Gaetano Pesce
– television writer of TV show “Striscia la Notizia” Antonio Ricci, television presenter Enzo Tortora, journalist Carlo Freccero, poets Camillo Sbarbaro, Edoardo Sanguineti, writer Mario Soldati, theater man and novelist Carlo Repetti
– politicians Palmiro Togliatti and Alessandro Natta