Truffle fairs and festivals in Tuscany
Until November 29th 2020, truffle fairs and festivals in Tuscany
Which are the Italian regions where the truffles grow spontaneously? All! None excluded. And in all 20 regions, it is included in the gastronomic tradition.
Also in Tuscany, of course, the region that has also created numerous fairs and festivals that make the truffle known to a large public of truffle lovers.
During the truffles’ events, truffles are sold, tasted and talked about.
The truffle in Tuscany
If anyone wants to experience the wild truffle hunt, here is a short map of the areas where they grow. Good luck!
The White Truffle is present in the areas:
– of the Crete Senesi (Siena),
– from S. Giovanni d’Asso to Pienza and from Monteriggioni to San Casciano Bagni.
– of S.Miniato (provinces of Florence and Pisa);
– part of the Chianti hills and part of the Lower Valdarno,
– in Val Tiberina, in particular in the municipalities of Badia Tedalda and Sestino.
– in Mugello, in particular in the municipalities of Borgo S.Lorenzo, Marradi, Scarperia.
– in Casentino, with the centers of Bibbiena and Poppi.
The Black Truffle is growing
– in the limestone massifs of Chianti,
– in Mugello (Marradi),
– in the Montagnola Senese,
– in the Val di Chiana and in the Casentino.
Bianchetto or Marzuolo can be found
– in the areas of the White Truffle,
– in the pine forests of Pinus pinea and Pinus pinaster,
– along the coasts of the provinces of Pisa, Livorno, Grosseto, from Migliarino-S.Rossore to Marina di Grosseto and the Feniglia.
Scorzone, particularly widespread in Tuscany, is common in calcareous soils with artificial oak and pine forests, in the provinces of:
– Arezzo (Casentino, Val Tiberina, Monti della Modina, Cortona),
– Florence (Monte Morello, Monti della Calvana, Mugello, Alta Val d’Elsa),
– Siena (Val d’Elsa Senese, Chianti Mountains),
– Grosseto (Castellazzara, Roccalbegna),
– Pisa (Volterra),
Bianchetto is found in all the hilly areas affected by other truffles and along the coastal pine forests.
– The prized white prefers the soils where there are lime, hazel and downy oak
– The Nero Pregiato those with holm oak, oak, downy oak, hornbeam and hazelnut.
– Lo Scorzone is located near beech, holm oak and oak.
The truffle fairs in Tuscany
And here is a calendar of truffle fairs and festivals in Tuscany. Keep in mind that some events may have been postponed or canceled due to organizational difficulties in this anomalous year.
For participation, we recommend always to check.
NOTE after the Novembre 4th DPCM all events have been canceled up to December 3rd
All events have been canceled
FESTIVAL OF PINOCCHIO TRUFFLE – San Miniato Basso (PI)
5-6 November 2020 – go to the website >>> EXHIBITION OF THE WHITE TRUFFLE OF CRETE SENESI – SAN GIOVANNI D’ASSO (SI)
7-8 and 14-15 November 2020 – go to the website >>> 42ND WHITE TRUFFLE MARKET EXHIBITION San Miniato (PI)
14-15, 21-22 and 28-29 November 2020 – go to the website >>>
Cover photo from the website of San Miniato white truffle market exhibition
TRUFFLE FESTIVAL – Castell’Azzara (GR)
22 August 2020
TRUFFLE FESTIVAL – Fiesole (FI)
3-27 September 2020
FESTIVAL OF WHITE TRUFFLE AND PORCINO MUSHROOM – La Serra (PI)
25-27 September 2020
WHITE TRUFFLE MARKET FAIR – Corazzano (FI)
3-4 October 2020
TRUFFLE – Prato (PO)
9-11 October 2020
WHITE TRUFFLE AND MUSHROOM FESTIVAL – Balconevisi (PI)
17-18 October 2020 – go to the website>>>
March 28-29, 2020 MARZUOLO TRUFFLE FESTIVAL OF THE CRETE SENESI – San Giovanni d’Asso (SI)
24-26 October 2020 TRUFFLE FESTIVAL OF THE SANMINIATESI HILLS – Ponte a Egola (PI)