Piemonte is the westernmost region of Italy.
It borders France and Switzerland, Valle d’Aosta, Lombardy, Emilia Romagna and Liguria.
Regional capital is Turin. Other provinces are: Alessandria, Asti, Biella, Cuneo, Novara, Verbania, Vercelli.
The cities of Piemonte are both rich in history and attractions for leisure.
Turin has been the first capital of Italy (1861) during the reign of Savoia family.
After the Second World War it became mainly a typical industrial city, home of Fiat.
Today the city is becoming more and more a cultural landmark for the whole Italy. Among the most interesting visits: the Holy Shroud (the shroud of Jesus Christ, always questioning among skeptics) that is located in the Cathedral of San Giovanni Battista; the Egyptian Museum, the world’s second-biggest one after the Museum in Cairo; the Cinema Museum inside the Mole Antonelliana, high more than 160 meters; the Automobile Museum; the many royal residences of the Savoia including the Reggia Venaria Reale, UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The name of Piemonte has been linked to three famous industrial brands: Fiat car factory, Olivetti, where the legendary typewriter Lettera 22 has been invented and Ferrero, the beloved factory that created the so famous Nutella.
UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITES IN PIEMONTE
Residences of the Royal House of Savoy
Sacri Monti of Piedmont and Lombardy
Prehistoric Pile dwellings around the Alps
Vineyard Landscape of Piedmont: Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
ART TOWNS IN PIEMONTE
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL VILLAGES OF ITALY IN PIEMONTE
In the Province of Cuneo:
In the Province of Alessandria:
In other provinces:
Orta San Giulio – in the Province of Novara
Ricetto di Candelo – in the Province of Biella
Usseaux – in the Province of Turin
Vogogna – in the Province of Verbano Cusio Ossola
AUTHENTIC VILLAGES OF ITALY IN PIEMONTE
In the Province of Cuneo:
FAI PROPERTIESIN PIEMONTE
Manta Castle (Manta – CN – 1985)
Masino Castle (Caravino – TO – 1988)
WHO’S WHO IN PIEMONTE
Famous people born in Piedmont:
– Nobel Prize for Medicine Rita Levi Montalcini,
– poet Vittorio Alfieri, poet Guido Gozzano, writers Cesare Pavese, Beppe Fenoglio, Umberto Eco, Primo Levi, Giorgio Faletti, Gianni Rodari, Alessandro Baricco, artist Giacomo Balla
– statesman Camillo Benso Count of Cavour, the first President of the Republic Luigi Einaudi, politicians Giovanni Giolitti and Oscar Luigi Scalfaro, general Luigi Cadorna,
– mathematician Joseph Lagrange,
– Saint Giovanni Bosco,
– song writers Luigi Tenco and Paolo Conte, the pianist and composer Ludovico Einaudi, the classic dancer Roberto Bolle,
– comedians Macario, Claudio Bisio, Ezio Greggio, Luciana Littizzetto,
– journalists Giorgio Bocca, Ezio Mauro, Marco Travaglio, science communicator Piero Angela,
– sportsmen Fausto Coppi, Giampiero Boniperti, Gianni Rivera, Piero Gros,
– architect Enzo Mari,
– entrepreneurs Alfonso Bialetti, Pietro Ferrero, Gianni Agnelli, Oscar Farinetti, Flavio Briatore, Camillo Olivetti and Giulio Einaudi
– supermodel and Première Dame de France Carla Bruni