Abruzzo – Events
Abruzzo is known as the “green region of Europe” thanks to the highest dolomite peaks, the Gran Sasso and the Maiella massif.
In Abruzzo events and festivals are mainly related to the tradition and to religious celebrations, such as:
– the feast of Saint Antonio Abate in Collelongo in January
– the “Ritual of the Serpari” in San Domenico in Cocullo every May 1st, where a procession follows the statue of the saint tangled by non-poisonous snaks collected in the surrounding mountains by the serpari (the serpents guardians).
– also on May 1st the Virtues Feast is celebrated in Teramo
– the “Virgin Mary Running Through the Square” in Sulmona ( on Easter Sunday)
– and the Thanksgiving holiday in Introdacqua (November)
In Tornareccio, in the province of Chieti, it is possible to visit all year round A mosaic for Tornareccio, an extraordinary open-air museum where 96 mosaics are installed on the walls of the houses.
Welcome to a region discovered by the movie industry that has chosen Abruzzo as an ideal set to shoot many famous movies>>>
Welcome to Abruzzo, the region of L’Aquila, known for the severe 2009 earthquake, of the arrosticini meat and much more…