Chestnut Festival in Soriano
In Autumn, the festival celebrating chestnuts and the history of Soriano.
The Chestnut Festival is a historical reenactment taking place in Soriano nel Cimino, in the Province of Viterbo, on the first two weekends of October (4-6, 11-13 October 2019).
The origin of the festival dates back to the 15th Century when the City Council established the first celebration in honor of the local specialty: chestnuts.
The modern version of the festival took place for the first time in 1968 and it consists of two main sections: the historical reenactment and the celebrations in honor of the chestnut, the fruit that has nourished entire rural communities for centuries.
During these days Soriano wrapped in a very suggestive atmosphere: the decorations are very rich which gives life to commemorative scenes between facts that really happened and magical ones.
The program of the chestnut festival is filled with interesting events:
– Food and wine tasting at Taverne dei Quattro Rioni
– Convivium Secretum ( 9th edition): a historical cooking contest between the four districts of the town, preparing Medieval and Renaissance recipes
– Ring Jousting
– Archery Tournament
– Popular traditional games
– The historical reenactment recreating the main historical events of Soriano from 1200 to 1489
– The sumptuous historical parade featuring more than 700 actors dressed up with Medieval costumes.
(photos: website of the event)