Historical Carousel – The Priors’ Oath – Cori
Sunday June 17th, 2022. Opening event of the Cori historical carousels
On Saturday 17th June 2023 takes place the Priors’ Oath (Giuramento dei Priori), the opening event of the Historical Carousel of the Cori Districts, which involves the districts of this small town in the Province of Latina.
The carousel consists of 3 events held between June and July. The three events reenact the celebrations that were held in honor of Virgin Mary and of Sainte Oliva, the patron saint of Cori:
– Saturday June 17th 2023: Priors’ oath and blessing of the Palii (standards);
– Sunday June 25th 2023: Madonna of the Rescue’s Palio;
– Saturday July 29th 2023: Saint Oliva’s Palio.
The ceremony of the Priors’ Oath is celebrated one week before the first Palio, with performers in traditional clothing and the town authorities.
The Oath begins with the election of the priors, who administrate the three towns “Gates” (districts). Every gate has a distinguishing colour:
– Signina Gate: “Excelsior”‘s colours are yellow and green, and their symbol is a mountain;
– Roman Gate: “Per aspera ad astra”, yellow and light blue, has a bow and arrow on its crest;
– Ninfina Gate: “Viribus unitis”, red and blue, is represented by a castle with a bridge.
At 9,30 pm, the three representatives reach Piazza Sant’Oliva followed by flag wavers, trumpets and drum rolls, and are appointed. After the blessing of the two Palii, the investiture of the Knights of the three Gates, who will compete for the forst palio in honour of the Madonna of the Rescue.
The Palio consists in a so-called ring race (corsa dell’anello), an exciting and spectacular competition. Knights on horseback have to insert their daggers into 3 cm diameter rings. The Palio is won by the district that inserted most of the rings.
Photo by Vincenzo PacificiMore Information >>>