Historical Carousel – The Priors’ Oath – Cori
18 June 2022. The opening event of the historical carousel involving the districts of Cori.
On Saturday 18th June 2022 takes place the Priors’ Oath (Giuramento dei Priori), the opening event of the Historical Carousel of the Districts, which involves the districts of Cori, a small town in the Province of Latina.
The carousel consists of 3 events held between June and July. The three events reenact the celebrations that were held in honor of Saint Oliva, the patron saint of Cori, until 1500.
– Saturday June 18th 2022: Priors’ oath and blessing of the Palii (standards);
– Sunday June 26th 2022: Madonna of the Rescue Palio;
– Saturday July 30th 2022: Saint Oliva’s Palio.
The ceremony of the Priors’ Oath is celebrated one week before the first Palio, with performers in traditional clothing and the town authorities.
The Oath begins with the election of the priors, who administrate the three towns “Gates” (districts). Every gate has a distinguishing colour:
– Signina Gate: “Excelsior”‘s colours are yellow and green, and their symbol is a mountain;
– Roman Gate: “Per aspera ad astra”, yellow and light blue, has a bow and arrow on its crest;
– Ninfina Gate: “Viribus unitis”, red and blue, is represented by a castle with a bridge.
The three representatives reach Piazza Sant’Oliva followed by flag wavers, trumpets and drum rolls, and are appointed. After the blessing of the two Palii, the investiture of the Knights of the three Gates, who will compete for the palio in honour of the Madonna of the Rescue (June 24), takes place.
The modern Palio takes place twice a year, in June (in honour of Madonna del Soccorso) and in July (in honour of Saint Oliva).
The so-called ring race (corsa dell’anello) is an exciting and spectacular competition that requires a lot of skills. Knights on horseback have to insert their daggers into 3 cm diameter rings. The Palio is won by the district that inserted most of the rings.
Photos by Vincenzo PacificiMore Information >>>