Forte di Bard – Bard
A fortress of the early 1800’s. It hosts temporary art exhibitions and the Alpes Museum.
Forte di Bard is a barrier fortress that dates back to the early 1800’s. It is located in a town in Valle d’Aosta called Bard, which since 2012 is part of the Most Beautiful Villages in Italy.
Forte di Bard hosts permanently the Alpes Museum and often also important art exhibitions at the ground floor in one of the fortress’ wing.
Forte di Bard is composed of 3 principal bodies, placed in different levels, between 400 and 467 meters:
– Opera Ferdinando, at the lowest part, princers shape (divided in two areas: Lower and Upper Opera Ferinando) and on the back there is Opera Mortai and the Polveriera which today are destined to didactical laboratories;
– Opera Vittorio with a interactive path for young people called Le Alpi dei Ragazzi (The Alpes of Youth) . The path includes a virtual ascent at Monte Bianco with the aim to make know and approach mountain-climbing to the children.
– Opera Carlo Alberto, where inside there is a yard called Opera di Gola. Opera Carlo Alberto hosts on the first floor the Alpes Museum and on the ground floor the Deambulatory that faces Piazza d’Armi (where the temporary exhibitions occur);
Opera Calo Alberto includes also the “Prisons”, divided in four sections, with 24 small cells of detention (1.30mx2m) where many prisoners were shut in. These were oftenly used during the third Insurrection des Socques in 1854 then the small rooms of the prison where used as warehouses of the fortress. In this space a multimedial path tells the story of the fortress.
To get at Forte di Bard on foot:
– an external road (south part) brings to the yard of Oper di Gola;
– an internal road with narrow hairpin turns supported by walls, brings you to the opposite slope (North part) and which brings at Opera Carlo Alberto and to the Stables area (also here there are temporary exhibitions).
Panoramic lifts allow to reach the summit of the fortress.
Photos: from Forte di Bard’s official website, facebook page and wikipedia
Discover the other Most Beautiful Villages in Valle d’Aosta >>>Go to the website Forte di Bard – Bard